This week is Hedgehog Awareness Week (2nd-8th May), so we are focussed here at Seedball HQ on how we can make our gardens a little more hedgehog friendly.
Did you know that research has shown In the UK our beloved Hedgehogs are in decline and are now listed as “Vulnerable” on Britain’s red list of mammals. Shockingly, numbers of hedgehogs have fallen by up to 30% in urban areas and 50% in rural areas since the Millennium. So it’s time to do all we can to help!
What is Hedgehog Awareness Week?
Hedgehog Awareness Week happens every year (generally in the first week of May) and is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS). The week is all about raising awareness of the problems faced by UK hedgehogs and what we can all do to make a difference. This year the British Hedgehog Preservation Society is asking you to create a hedgehog haven at home.
Turning your garden into a hedgehog haven is a super fun project that all the family will enjoy!
Here are our top tips to create hedgehog haven bound to make our prickly pals proud!
- Pop a hole in your fence 🙂 – hedgehogs have a HUGE territory so need gardens to be connected/
- Create a log pile 📸 Alison Daykin – @PTES Hedgehog S
- Pop in a wildlife friendly pond! Gravel on the edge and sloping sides is perfect!
- Add a hedgehog home 🏡😍
- Leave a corner of the garden messy with a leaf pile
- Leave your lawn to grow! #nomowmay – attracting beneficial insects to your garden!
- Stop using pesticides in the garden